The department of Environmental Biology was created in July 2010 through the integration of three departments (Plant Biology, Animal and Human Biology, Genetics and Molecular Biology). The department includes a library, two museums (the museum of Anthropology and the Herbarium museum), the Botanical Garden, 23 research laboratories and an experimental botanical garden. The departemnt also houses the interuniversity research center "Biodiversity, Ecosystem Services and Sustainability" (CIRBISES).
The headquarters of the department is located in the historical Botany building conceived and designed by Giuseppe Capponi in 1935.
The department includes 40 professors and researchers as well as 46 administrative people working in the administration, the research laboratories, the museums and in the library. The research is conducted in a large number of fields from anthropology to bioethics, botany, agricultural chemistry, plant ecology, plant pathology, microbiology, paleoecology and paleogenetics.
We are also responsible for undergraduate education at the Bachelor and Master level in the programms of Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences, Biological Sciences, Technologies for the Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage, Agro-Industrial Biotechnologies, Pharmacy and Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technologies.