I am a palynologist, whose main interest is reconstructing the history of vegetation and climate in Europe during the Quaternary, in co-operation with geologists, palaeontologists, archaeologists and geneticists.
Research My main research interests are:
- a) vegetation dynamics in Europe in relation to Quaternary climate oscillations through pollen analysis;
- b) timing and modes of Quaternary migration, turnover and extinctions of tree populations, also in relation to the dynamics of mammal communities;
- c) influence of human activity on the natural environment, with special attention to the Mediterranean regions;
- d) combining fossil and genetic data to investigate past plant population dynamics and evolution, through the comparison of the palaeobiogeographical distribution and modern phylogeographical structure of tree populations at time scales of 103-106 years.
- Director of the Herbarium, Sapienza University (2018- ) (https://web.uniroma1.it/erbario/)
- Coordinator for International Mobility at Sapienza University of Rome for the CIVIS network (https://www.uniroma1.it/en/pagina/mobilita-civis)
Ongoing International projects
- ERASMUS MUNDUS Joint Master in Archaeological Materials Science (ARCHMAT) (EU-EACEA 599247-EPP-1-2018-1-PT-EPPKA1-JMD-MOB); contact person - Sapienza University of Rome (total financing: € 4,346,000) duration: 1 Oct 2018-30 Sep 2023 (http://www.erasmusmundus-archmat.uevora.pt/
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks: (EU H2020-MSCA-ITN-2017- 766311) (2018-2021): European Doctorate in ARchaeological and Cultural Heritage MATerials science (ED-ARCHMAT); Participant contact, director of ESR-4 (financing ESR-4: € 258,062), duration: 1 Apr 2018-31 Mar 2022 2022 (http://www.ed-archmat-ejd.eu/)
- Laboratory of Archaeometry (MSc in Sciences and Technology for the conservation of Cultural Heritage, Sapienza Università di Roma, and Erasmus Mundus ARCHMAT); course in English
- Paleobotanica e Palinologia (MSc in Scienze della Natura, Sapienza Università di Roma)
- Botanica Sistematica, (BSc in Scienze Naturali, Sapienza Università di Roma)
- Currently supervising 6 PhD students, three of which with international co-tutoring