The Herbarium RO operates in accordance with the various functions that herbaria, and more broadly, museums of natural history, presently fulfill.
Particularly, Sapienza Herbarium aims to achieve the following goals, in addition to conservation efforts, collection growth, and computerized cataloging:
- Offer its collections for scientific investigations, master's and doctoral theses, and welcome a sizable number of researchers and students from Italy and beyond each year;
- Send information and materials, upon request, to scholars from all over the world;
- Train students in a range of degree programs;
- Organize guided tours for individual users and schools of all levels, upon reservation;
- Participate in academic and popular exhibitions and study days;
- Take part in projects aimed at promoting scientific culture within the framework of the Sapienza Museum Pole;
- Encourage editorial activities aimed at spreading floristic knowledge.