The Department is divided into five Permanent Sections.
- Design: Design Area as an aggregator of cultural, scientific and experimental capable of directing the formative offer and design areas research of material and immaterial artifacts; through the innovation of the methodologies and practices of the project; through the study of the languages evolution, also in historiographical key; through the investigation of the changes in technological, scientific, social, economic, environmental contexts, and their influence in the construction of the artificial environment.
- Design Environmental Technology Section: The Architectural Technology Area oriented to the definition and experimentation of technical and operational theories, methods and tools for innovation, the evolution and transformation of the built environment; promoter of the design technological culture, capable to manage the entire building process with a view to quality and social, economic and environmental sustainability, both in new construction interventions and requalification and rehabilitation of existing buildings.
- City Planning, Planning, Design and Territory Government Section: City Planning and Territory Governement Area is able to identify and experiment the theoretical-definitional and methodological-operative components that oversee planning processes, planning and design of the city and its territory aimed at the pursuit of public and general objectives, as well as to maintaining and achieving high levels of quality of natural and urbanized areas and urban development, including the verification of the dynamics of transformation, socio-economic and modes of interaction and participation of public and private entities.
- Landscape and Environment Section: the area of Planning, design and management of the processes of protection, enhancement and transformation of the Landscape in its environmental and anthropic components and in their interrelationships, safeguarding the biodiversity at different scales.
- Energy and Environmental Technical Physics Section: The Environmental Technical Physics Area concernes specific topics such as energy aspects in spatial planning, the building-plant system, the outdoor and indoor environmental quality, acoustics and illuminating engineering.