What is the legal status of data? Are smart-contracts contracts? Is current legislation fit to address the many problems posed by self-learning machines? Is it legal to purchase goods with a cryptocurrency? Who is liable for the harm or damage caused by AI's systems?
Established in 2019 at the Department of Law and Economics of Productive Activities of Università di Roma La Sapienza, the Juridical Observatory on Digital Innovation - JODI (Osservatorio giuridico delle innovazioni digitali - OGID) examines the interactions between technology and private law, by considering digital innovations from the perspectives of classical legal concepts such as contract, torts, personhood, etc. JODI (OGID)’s activities include the organization of seminars and webinars on a regular basis run by internal members as well as by external researchers and professionals with a variety of backgrounds, the promotion and editing of publications as well as the participation in public consultation procedures in matters relating to EU’s projects of governance of digital innovation.
JODI (OGID) is headed by Prof. Salvatore Orlando, who is full professor of Private Law at Università di Roma La Sapienza, Faculty of Economics, and lawyer in Rome. The responsible for the organization is Dr. Daniele Imbruglia, who is Research Fellow in Private Law at Università di Roma La Sapienza, Faculty of Economics.
JODI (OGID)'s seminars/webinars are open to everyone interested in joining. Seminars are held in presence at the premises of the Department of Law and Economics of Productive Activities of Università di Roma La Sapienza in via Castro Laurenziano, while webinars are held on Zoom. Each presentation is typically followed by a discussion.
To join them, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special webinars identified in the below list with the words "REM TENE" after the Latin motto rem tene verba sequentur are held by non-legal experts and are aimed at providing useful notions derived either from research in the fields of Computer Science and Statistics and from the actual implementation of digital technologies in the business and non-profit sectors.
JODI Webinars Calendar for 2022
- 16.02.2022 h. 4pm, Presentazione del libro Consenso "negoziato" e circolazione dei dati personali, Giappichelli, 2021 (Claudia Irti, Università di Venezia);
- 09.03.2022 h. 4pm, Presentazione del libro "Profilazione e pubblicità targettizzata online. Real-Time Bidding e behavioural advertising", ESI, 2022 (Guido D'Ippolito, Garante Protezione Dati Personali);
- 30.03.2022 h. 4pm, Neurorights: una proposta di analisi interdisciplinare tra diritto e neuroscienze (Anita Mollo, Università di Napoli Federico II);
- 27.04.2022 h. 4pm, La responsabilità del provider di servizi di condivisione di contenuti online dopo il d.lgs. 177/2021 (Stefania Ercolani, SIAE);
- 18.05.2022 h. 4pm, Resistenza del diritto alla protezione dei dati personali nelle situazioni di conflitto armato (Filiberto Emanuele Brozzetti, Garante Protezione Dati Personali);
- 22.06.2022 h. 4pm, Online meeting with Brando Benifei, European Parliament's Rapporteur on the Proposal for the EU Artificial Intelligence Act
- 24.06.2022 h. 11am, Derecho digital y derecho civil español en el contexto europeo (Cristina Argelich Comelles, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid)
- 29.06.2022 h. 4pm, Robojournalism – A Copyright Study on the Use of Artificial Intelligence in the European News Industry (Alina Trapova, University of Nottingham, and Péter Mezei, University of Szeged);
Regular column on the Italian legal review Persona e Mercato
- 1.2021 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Osservatorio.pdf
- 2.2021 - http://www.personaemercato.it/
- 3.2021 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Osservatorio.pdf
- 4.2021 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Osservatorio-1.pdf
- 1.2020 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Osservatorio-1-2020.pdf
- 2.2020 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Osservatorio.pdf
- 3.2020 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Osservatorio-14.9.2020.pdf
- 4.2020 - http://www.personaemercato.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Osservatorio.pdf
JODI Yearbook 2021:
On 19 July 2021, JODI 2021 Yearbook (Annuario 2021 Osservatorio Giuridico sulla Innovazione Digitale) has been published by SUE (Sapienza Università Editrice) in open access under Creative Commons license 3.0 IT (ISBN 978-88-9377-186-3; DOI 10.13133/9788893771863). The Yearbook, edited by Salvatore Orlando and Giuseppina Capaldo, has been contributed by professors and researchers from 7 Italian Universities and deals with a number of issues, including crypto-assets, ICOs, financial contracts, blockchain and proxy voting, smart contracts, sharenting, data protection and antitrust law, payment through personal data, right to be forgotten, online platforms, AI governance approaches and smart assistants. It contains 15 contributions in Italian language and 2 contributions in English language.
The ebook is available for free at the following link:
The ebook is also available for free on Google Play at
- 17-18.6.2022 Prof. Roberta Montinaro and Prof. Salvatore Orlando will participate in the Conference Mercato Digitale e Tutela dei Consumatori organized by prof. Sara Tommasi at the University of Lecce. Prof. Roberta Montinaro will discuss a presentation titled "Recommendation system algorithms and unfair commercial practices". Prof. Salvatore Orlando will discuss a presentation titled "Dark patterns as a tool to distort consumers' economic behaviour".
- 6-7.6.2022 Prof. Roberta Montinaro, Prof. Salvatore Orlando and Prof. Shaira Thobani will participate in the Summer School "Digital Innovation and Sustainability" organized by Prof. Roberta Montinaro at the University of Napoli "L'Orientale" (Jean Monnet Module DiCit). Prof. Montinaro will discuss a presentation titled "Artificial Intelligence Act e Data Governance"; Prof. Salvatore Orlando will discuss a presentation titled "Data as Information and Data as Assets" and prof. Shaira Thobani will discuss a presentation titled "Consensus to Data Processing and Data Flows". All information regarding the Summer School, including registration information, are available here.
- 24.5.2022 Prof. Salvatore Orlando will participate as a speaker in the Conference "Il ruolo del Garante per la protezione dei dati personali: la tutela di un diritto fondamentale tra sfide passate e scommesse per il futuro". The Conference will take place in Rome at Campidoglio, Sala della Protomoteca. Prof. Orlando will discuss a presentation titled La "monetizzazione" dei dati personali ('On personal data monetization'). All information about the Conference are available here.
- 6.5.2022 Prof. Salvatore Orlando will participate as a speaker in the Conference " Ricerca, educazione e accesso al patrimonio culturale. Un confronto fra diritti fondamentali ed eccezioni al diritto d’autore" organized by the Istituto di Informatica Giuridica e Sistemi Giudiziari and by the Capitolo italiano Creative Commons. The Conference will take place in Rome at the National Research Council (Cnr). Prof. Salvatore Orlando will discuss a presentation titled "L’eccezione di Text and Data Mining e le nozioni legali di “informazioni” e “dati” nella legislazione del mercato unico digitale" ('TDM exception and the concepts of information and data in the EU digital market law'). All information about the Conference, including the brochure and registration information are available here
- 26.11.2021 Prof. Salvatore Orlando will participate as a speaker in the Conference " La via europea per l' Intelligenza Artificiale" (The European Road to Artificial Intelligence) organized by the University Ca' Foscari of Venice which will take place in Venice on 25-26 November 2021. Prof.Salvatore Orlando will discuss a presentation titled "Regole di immissione nel mercato e pratiche di IA vietate" (Market rules and forbidden AI practices). All information about the Conference, including the brochure and registration information are available here
- 8.10.2021 Dr. Lucio Casalini will participate at the one-day conference, Are We Owned? A Multidisciplinary and Comparative Conversation on Intellectual Property in the Algorithmic Society. The conference will be held in Stirling (Scotland) on Friday 8th October 2021. All information regarding the conference, including videos, abstracts, are available at https://areweowned.wordpress.com/
- 13.5.2021 Prof. Giuseppina Capaldo will participate in the Online Summer School "Digital Innovation and Sustainability" organized by the University of Napoli "L'Orientale" (Jean Monnet Module DiCit) which will take place on 7-8 June 2021. Prof. Capaldo will discuss a presentation titled "Intelligenza artificiale e infrastrutture per lo sviluppo sostenibile" (AI and infrastructure for sustainable development). All information regarding the Summer School, including registration information, are available at: http://www.jmdicitunior.eu/homesite/1/1/home-page.html
- 11.5.2021 Salvatore Orlando and Daniele Imbruglia will participate in the Summer School "La responsabilità civile nell'era digitale" (Civil Liability in the Digital Era) organized by the University of Foggia and the University of Siena which will take place in Pugnochiuso on 6-10 September 2021. Prof. Salvatore Orlando will discuss a presentation titled "Linguaggi di programmazione e responsabilità" (Programming Languages and Civil Liability) while Dott. Daniele Imbruglia will discuss a presentation titled "Ambienti digitali e diritti fondamentali" (Digital Ecosystems and Fundamental Rights). All information regarding the Summer School, including registration information are available at: https://www.giurisprudenza.
- 1.4.2021 Professor Salvatore Orlando has been appointed co-responsible of the block of lessons on "Ethics and legal rights in AI" ("Etica e diritti nella IA") at the 2020/2021 High Formation Course (Corso di Alta Formazione "CAF") of the Sapienza University of Rome "Ethics, legal rights and policies of the Artificial Intelligence" ("Etica, diritti e policies dell'Intelligenza Artificiale") https://www.uniroma1.it/it/offerta-formativa/corso-di-alta-formazione/2021/etica-diritti-e-policies-dellintelligenza
- 24.11.2020 Professor Luciano Floridi of the Oxford Internet Institute (University of Oxford) made a presentation of his most recent book "Il verde e il blu. Idee ingenue per migliorare la politica", in an online event organised by JODI (https://web.uniroma1.it/deap/sites/default/files/locandina_floridi_24_novembre.pdf). Professors Fabrizio D'Ascenzo (Dean of the Faculty of Economics), Giuseppina Capaldo (Prorettore) and Salvatore Orlando (head of JODI) of the Sapienza University of Rome attended.
- 18.9.2020 Enzo Maria Incutti and Federico Ruggeri of JODI presented and discussed their papers respectively on ICOs and the possible interactions between the new P2B Regulation and the sharing economy at the Digital PhD Workshop "A Contract Law for the Age of Digital Platforms?" organised by the University of Pisa (PhD course in Juridical Sciences). Enzo Maria Incutti discussed his presentation ("A new slippery financial operation. Concerns and considerations on ICO") with Przemyslaw Palka of Yale Law School, while Federico Ruggeri discussed his presentation ("Not always so peer. The new P2B Regulation and the sharing economy") with Alessandra Quarta of University of Turin.
- 30.6.2020 - JODI submitted online its feedback in the roadmap procedure relevant to the EU Commission’s initiative "Digital Service Act - deepening the internal market and clarifying responsibilities for digital services": https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/
better-regulation/have-your- say/initiatives/12417-Digital- Services-Act-deepening-the- Internal-Market-and- clarifying-responsibilities- for-digital-services/F535601
- 12.6.2020 - Professor Salvatore Orlando made a lecture on "Artificial Intelligence and Fairness: The European Union's approach" at the LM in European Studies, Private Comparative Law, sponsored by the Istituto Italo-Cinese Sapienza Università di Roma - Zhongnan University of Economics and Law (ZUEL) of Wuhan (People's Republic of China).
- 31.5.2020 - JODI filed its responses to the online questionnaire relevant to the open public consultation procedure on the EU Commission’s Communication - COM(2020) 66 final - A European strategy for data.
- 19.5.2020 - JODI filed its responses to the online questionnaire relevant to the open public consultation procedure on the EU Commission’s White Paper - COM(2020) 65 final - On Artificial Intelligence - A European Approach to Excellence and trust, and submitted an explanatory document.
- 12.5.2020 - JODI has been registered in EU Transparency Register, with number 164451038125-33 (https://ec.europa.eu/transparencyregister/public/consultation/searchControllerPager.do?declaration=jodi&search=search)
Other articles published by JODI(OGID)'s members:
Ø E. M. Incutti, «Regulating «Initial Coin Offering» and crypto-Assets. A postcard from Italy», in E. Bargelli e V. Calderai (a cura di), A Contract Law for the Age of Digital Platforms?, Pisa, 2022, pp. 89-110.
Ø E.M. Incutti, «Initial Coin Offering» ed il mercato delle cripto-attività: l’ambiguità degli «utility token», in Rivista di Diritto Privato, 2022, 1, pp. 71-94.
Ø S. Thobani, L’esclusione da Facebook tra lesione della libertà di espressione e diniego di accesso al mercato, in Persona e mercato, 2, 2021 (available here);
Ø L. Casalini, Accesso e digitalizzazione nella direttiva copyright, in Persona e mercato, 2, 2021 (available here);
Ø A. Altieri, Conferimento in società di cripto-attività, in V.V. Cuocci, F.P. Lops, C. Motti (a cura di), La circolazione della ricchezza nell’era digitale, Pisa, 2021, p. 213;
Ø S. Orlando, Profili definitori degli "smart contracts", in R. Clarizia (a cura di), Internet, contratto e persona: quale futuro?, Pisa, 2021, p. 41;
Ø D. Imbruglia, La Cassazione e le responsabilità dell’host provider, in C. Granelli (a cura di), I nuovi orientamenti della Cassazione civile, Milano, 2020, pp. 790-817;
Ø B. Gardelli Tedeschi, S. Thobani, Innovazione, diritto e tecnologia: temi per il presente e il futuro. Introduzione, in Media Laws, 2020, 3 (available here);
Ø D. Imbruglia, L'Intelligenza artificiale (IA) e le regole. Appunti, in Media Laws, 2020, 3, (available here);
Ø S. Orlando,
Ø S. Orlando,
Ø S. Orlando, The employment of drones by Local Police of Italian Municipalities at the time of Coronavirus, in Computer Law and Security Review, 37 (July, 2020);
Ø S. Orlando, Blockchain and Smart Contract defined by Italian Law but follow-up guidelines and technical standards still missing, in Computer Law and Security Review, 36 (April, 2020);
Ø L. Casalini, Blockchain and smart contracts. What changes lie ahead for banking and financial law? , in Diritto del risparmio, 3, 2019 (available here).